Have you had enough of paying out the nose to insure your vehicles every month? You are in the same boat as most other vehicle owners in Rhode Island.
Astonishing but true, a large majority of drivers renewed their policy with the same company for a minimum of four years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never quoted insurance rates at all. Consumers in Westerly could save themselves up to $200 a year, but most tend to underestimate how much savings they would realize if they changed companies.
Since you have so many insurance companies to choose from, it can be diffult for drivers to pick the cheapest insurance company.
There are several ways to get quotes from local Westerly auto insurance companies. The easiest way by far to find the cheapest insurance rates consists of obtaining rate quotes online.
It's so simple to compare auto insurance price quotes online replaces the need to spend your day driving to local Westerly insurance agencies. Buying insurance online makes this unnecessary unless you have a need for the peace of mind of a local agency. It is possible with some companies price shop your coverage online and have a local Westerly agent actually service the policy.
When quoting auto insurance, remember that having more price comparisons will enable you to find the best price.
The companies in the list below are ready to provide free quotes in Rhode Island. If the list has multiple companies, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LT 2WD||$1,394||$697||$116|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$1,216||$608||$101|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab TRX4 Off Road 2WD||$1,526||$763||$127|
|Ford Edge Sport 2WD||$1,276||$638||$106|
|Ford Escape Limited 2WD||$1,038||$519||$87|
|Ford F-150 XL Regular Cab 2WD||$1,122||$561||$94|
|Ford Focus SE 2-Dr Coupe||$1,584||$792||$132|
|Ford Fusion Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$1,602||$801||$134|
|Honda Accord EX-L 2-Dr Coupe||$1,394||$697||$116|
|Honda CR-V LX 2WD||$1,218||$609||$102|
|Honda Civic SI 2-Dr Coupe||$1,264||$632||$105|
|Honda Odyssey LX||$1,284||$642||$107|
|Hyundai Sonata GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$1,196||$598||$100|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$1,530||$765||$128|
|Nissan Rogue S 2WD||$1,532||$766||$128|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,174||$587||$98|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$1,180||$590||$98|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Rhode Island minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-vehicle, claim-free, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Price estimates do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can change coverage prices significantly.
Rate comparison of male drivers versus female drivers
The information below shows the difference between insurance premiums for male and female drivers in Westerly. Data assumes a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are single, and no other discounts are factored in on a Hyundai Sonata GLS.
Hyundai Sonata rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Full coverage rates compared to liability-only
The chart below visualizes the comparison of Chevrolet Silverado auto insurance costs when comparing full coverage to liability only. The rates are based on no claims or driving violations, $500 deductibles, married male driver, and no discounts are applied.
Chevrolet Silverado rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to stop buying physical damage coverage
There isn't a written rule for phasing out comp and collision coverage, but there is a guideline you can use. If the yearly cost of full coverage is more than 10% of the vehicle's replacement cost less your deductible, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
For example, let's pretend your Chevrolet Silverado replacement value is $3,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most your company will settle for is $2,000 after the deductible is paid. If premium cost is more than $200 annually for your policy with full coverage, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
There are a few situations where buying only liability insurance is not financially feasible. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you have to maintain full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not remove full coverage.
Why you need quality insurance for your vehicle
Despite the high cost of buying insurance in Westerly, insuring your vehicle is required in Rhode Island but it also protects you in many ways.
- Just about all states have minimum liability requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific minimum amounts of liability coverage in order to license the vehicle. In Rhode Island these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your vehicle, more than likely the lender will have a requirement that you carry insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank will be required to insure your vehicle for a lot more money and make you pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance protects both your vehicle and your personal assets. It will also reimburse you for hospital and medical expenses for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay attorney fees if you cause an accident and are sued. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, your insurance policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially if you ever need it. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is overpaying over $700 annually so compare rates each time the policy renews to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Insurance policy discounts you can't miss
Not too many consumers would say insurance is affordable, but you may be missing some discounts that many consumers don't even know exist. Some discounts apply automatically when you purchase, but lesser-known reductions have to be requested specifically before being credited. If you're not getting every credit available, you may be paying too high a price.
- Theft Deterrent - Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices are less likely to be stolen and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Senior Discount - Drivers over the age of 55 may qualify for a discount up to 10%.
- Save with a New Car - Buying insurance coverage on a new vehicle can save up to 30% because newer models have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Telematics Discount - Insureds who allow companies to spy on vehicle usage by installing a telematics device such as State Farm's In-Drive could see a rate decrease as long as the data is positive.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage - Forcing all vehicle occupants to buckle their seat belts can save 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
- Multiple Vehicles - Having all your vehicles with one company could earn a price break for each car.
- Life Insurance Discount - If the company offers life insurance, you could get a small discount if you purchase auto and life insurance together.
- College Student - College-age children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not take a car to college can receive lower rates.
- Employee of Federal Government - Having worked for a branch of the government could provide a small rate reduction but check with your company.
Don't be surprised that most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So even though you would think all the discounts add up to a free policy, insurance companies aren't that generous. But all discounts will definitely reduce your policy premiums.
Some of the insurance companies that may offer most of the discounts above are:
If you want inexpensive Westerly auto insurance quotes, ask every prospective company which discounts you qualify for. A few discounts may not apply to policies in Westerly. If you would like to see a list of insurance companies offering insurance discounts in Westerly, click here to view.
Car insurance quotes from local Westerly insurance agencies
A lot of people just prefer to go talk to an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the best bonuses of price shopping on the web is that you can find cheap car insurance rates and also buy local.
To find an agent, once you fill out this short form, your coverage information is immediately sent to local insurance agents in Westerly who want to provide quotes for your coverage. You won't even need to search for any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered directly to your email. You can find better rates and a licensed agent to talk to. If you wish to compare prices from a specific insurance company, you would need to search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
Choosing an company needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. A good agent in Westerly will have answers to these questions.
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Westerly?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Do they have designations such as AIC, CPCU, or CIC?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Omissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
If you are wanting to purchase car insurance from a local agent, it helps to know the two different agency structures that you can select. Agencies in Westerly may be either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type have only one company to place business with and some examples include State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. These agents are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so you might not find the best rates. They are very knowledgeable on the products they sell which helps them compete with independent agents.
These type of agents are not employed by one company so they can quote policies through lots of different companies and find the cheapest rate. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and the insured can keep the same agent. When comparison shopping, you will definitely want to compare prices from independent agents for maximum quote selection.
After talking to the agent and getting good feedback to any questions you have as well as low cost Westerly auto insurance quotes, you have narrowed it down to an auto insurance agent that meets the requirements to insure your vehicles. But keep in mind you can always cancel your policy at any time so don't feel that you're stuck with a policy for the entire policy term.
Auto insurance policy coverages
Learning about specific coverages of your auto insurance policy aids in choosing which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. The terms used in a policy can be confusing and nobody wants to actually read their policy. These are the usual coverages found on the average auto insurance policy.
Medical expense coverage - Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP provide coverage for short-term medical expenses for things like funeral costs, nursing services, pain medications and chiropractic care. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance program or if you lack health insurance entirely. It covers you and your occupants in addition to being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP coverage is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Collision - This covers damage to your vehicle resulting from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You will need to pay your deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage pays for things such as sustaining damage from a pot hole, backing into a parked car, colliding with a tree and damaging your car on a curb. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from lower value vehicles. Drivers also have the option to increase the deductible to save money on collision insurance.
Liability car insurance - This coverage provides protection from damage that occurs to other's property or people by causing an accident. It consists of three limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see limits of 25/50/25 which stand for a limit of $25,000 per injured person, a limit of $50,000 in injury protection per accident, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged propery.
Liability insurance covers claims like loss of income, structural damage, funeral expenses, repair bills for other people's vehicles and bail bonds. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a decision to put some thought into, but it's cheap coverage so purchase as much as you can afford. Rhode Island requires drivers to carry at least 25/50/25 but you should think about purchasing better liability coverage.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage - This protects you and your vehicle when other motorists are uninsured or don't have enough coverage. Covered losses include hospital bills for your injuries and damage to your vehicle.
Since many Rhode Island drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (25/50/25), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. That's why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is very important.
Comprehensive protection - This coverage will pay to fix damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as a broken windshield, damage from flooding and falling objects. The maximum amount you'll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if the vehicle's value is low consider dropping full coverage.
Cheaper insurance is a realistic goal
Cost effective insurance can be bought both online in addition to local insurance agencies, so you need to shop Westerly auto insurance with both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance providers may not provide the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these small, regional companies prefer to sell through local independent agencies.
We just presented quite a bit of information on how to find cheaper coverage online. The most important thing to understand is the more price quotes you have, the better likelihood of getting cheap Westerly auto insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the lowest premium rates come from some of the smallest insurance companies. Smaller companies may have significantly lower prices on certain market segments as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
Much more information about insurance in Rhode Island can be read at these links:
- What if I Can't Find Coverage? (Insurance Information Institute)
- What is the Best Cheap Car Insurance in Central Falls, RI? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for Teachers in Rhode Island? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Hope Valley, Rhode Island? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates in Rhode Island? (FAQ)
- Credit and Insurance Scores (Insurance Information Institute)
- What are my Rights when Filing a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)