How many times have you said it's time to compare low-cost auto insurance rates in Bristol, RI? Are you kicking yourself for buying an expensive auto insurance policy? Believe me, there are lots of Bristol residents who feel the same.
Regrettably, over 70% of Rhode Island drivers have purchased from the same company for more than four years, and practically 40% of auto insurance customers have never shopped around. American drivers can save hundreds of dollars each year just by getting comparison quotes, but they underestimate the benefits if they switch to a new company.
You have so many insurance companies to insure vehicles with, and although it's nice to have multiple companies, having more auto insurance companies makes it harder to find a good deal.
The best way we recommend to compare insurance rates in your area takes advantage of the fact most of the bigger providers participate in a system to give rate comparisons. To start a quote, the only thing you need to do is provide a little information including whether you have decent credit, how many miles driven, whether you drive to work or school, and whether your vehicle is owned or leased. Those rating factors gets sent immediately to many different companies and you will get price comparisons within a short period of time.
To compare rates now, click here and enter your coverage details.
The companies shown below offer free quotes in Rhode Island. If several companies are displayed, it's a good idea that you visit two to three different companies in order to find the cheapest rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD||$1,238||$619||$103|
|Chevrolet Impala LS||$1,402||$701||$117|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$1,314||$657||$110|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab Laramie 4WD||$1,694||$847||$141|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$1,146||$573||$96|
|Ford F-150 XL Regular Cab 2WD||$1,160||$580||$97|
|Ford Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$1,222||$611||$102|
|Ford Fusion SEL AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$1,450||$725||$121|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,560||$780||$130|
|Honda CR-V EX 4WD||$1,226||$613||$102|
|Honda Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,442||$721||$120|
|Honda Odyssey EX-L W/Rear Entertainment||$1,336||$668||$111|
|Hyundai Elantra Blue 4-Dr Sedan||$1,104||$552||$92|
|Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4WD 2-Dr||$1,474||$737||$123|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$1,660||$830||$138|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$1,722||$861||$144|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,488||$744||$124|
|Toyota RAV4 Limited 2WD||$1,610||$805||$134|
|Toyota Tacoma 4WD||$1,144||$572||$95|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Rhode Island minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, multi-policy, safe-driver, and claim-free. Prices do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can modify premium rates substantially.
Auto insurance rates by age and gender in Bristol
The example below shows the difference between insurance premiums for male and female drivers in Bristol. The premiums assume no claims or driving violations, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no additional discounts are factored in on a Toyota Camry Hybrid.
Toyota Camry rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Full coverage rates compared to liability only
The illustration below examines GMC Acadia auto insurance costs with full coverage and liability only. The costs are based on no violations or claims, $1,000 deductibles, single female driver, and no other discounts are factored in.
GMC Acadia rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Should you pay for full coverage?
There is no written rule of when to stop paying for full coverage, but there is a guideline you can use. If the annual cost of having full coverage is about 10% or more of any settlement you would receive from your insurance company, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
For example, let's assume your GMC Acadia replacement cost is $7,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most you would receive is $6,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are paying in excess of $600 annually for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
There are a few cases where dropping physical damage coverage is not in your best interest. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if your savings is not enough to buy a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should not opt for liability only.
How violations and accidents impact rates
The example below shows how traffic citations and fender-benders can increase Nissan Altima insurance costs for different age groups. The data assumes a married male driver, comp and collision included, $1,000 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Nissan Altima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Insurance protects more than just your car
Even though it can be expensive, paying for insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific minimum amount of liability if you don't want to risk a ticket. In Rhode Island these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, almost all lenders will require that you have full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If coverage lapses or is cancelled, the bank may insure your vehicle for a lot more money and make you pay for it.
- Insurance protects both your vehicle and your assets. Insurance will pay for medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability insurance also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you cause an accident and are sued. If you have damage to your vehicle as the result of the weather or an accident, your policy will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of buying insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially if you ever need it. But the average driver in Rhode Island is currently overpaying as much as $700 annually so compare rates at least once a year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Auto insurance discounts help lower rates
Some insurers do not advertise all discounts very clearly, so we researched both well-publicized and the more hidden discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Bristol auto insurance online. If they aren't giving you every credit available, you're just leaving money on the table.
- Drive Less and Save - Driving less may enable drivers to earn better prices on cars that stay parked.
- Sign Early and Save - A few larger companies offer discounts for switching policies before your current expiration date. It could save around 10% when you buy Bristol auto insurance online.
- Professional Organizations - Participating in a civic or occupational organization in Bristol can get you a small discount on auto insurance.
- Discount for Passive Restraints - Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may earn rate discounts of 20 to 30 percent.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to use a seat belt may be able to save a few bucks on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Driver Training Discounts - Taking part in a course that instructs on driving safety could earn you a small percentage discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Accident Waiver - Not necessarily a discount, but companies like Liberty Mutual, Allstate and State Farm will allow you to have one accident before they charge you more for coverage if you are claim-free for a certain period of time.
- Multi-policy Discount - If you can combine your auto and homeowners policy and place coverage with the same company you could save at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Early Payment Discounts - If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save up to 5%.
It's important to understand that some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. If you do the math and it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it just doesn't work that way.
Insurance companies who may offer these discounts include:
Check with every prospective company how you can save money. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be offered on policies in every state.
Local Bristol car insurance agents and insurance
Certain consumers still like to get professional advice from a licensed agent and doing that can be a smart decision The biggest benefit of getting online price quotes is that you can obtain the lowest rates but still work with a licensed agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this short form, your insurance coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents in Bristol who want to provide quotes for your insurance coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to leave your house because quoted prices will be sent straight to your inbox. It's the lowest rates without requiring a lot of work. If you have a need to compare rates from a specific insurance provider, you can always navigate to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Finding the right provider shouldn't rely on just the price. These questions are important to ask:
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
- Is every driver in your family covered?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
What insurance coverages do I need?
When buying a policy for your vehicles, there is no "perfect" insurance plan. Everyone's situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover if you might need professional guidance.
- Is my ex-spouse still covered by my policy?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Should I bundle my homeowners policy with my auto?
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
- Do they offer discounts for home and auto coverage?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- Should I carry comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Should I buy full coverage?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- Does car insurance cover theft of personal property?
If you can't answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you don't have a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Cheap coverage is out there
While you're price shopping online, it's very important that you do not buy poor coverage just to save money. In many instances, someone dropped collision coverage only to find out that the savings was not a smart move. Your goal is to get the best coverage possible at the lowest possible cost, not the least amount of coverage.
You just learned quite a bit of information on how to lower your auto insurance premium rates in Bristol. It's most important to understand that the more rate quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your prices. You may even be surprised to find that the biggest savings come from a small local company.
Consumers leave their current company for a variety of reasons including policy non-renewal, high rates after DUI convictions, an unsatisfactory settlement offer and delays in responding to claim requests. Whatever your reason, finding a new company is not as hard as you think.
More tips and info about auto insurance is located in the articles below:
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance for Drivers Over Age 70 in Rhode Island? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Rhode Island Auto Insurance Quotes for Business Use? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Harmony, Rhode Island? (FAQ)
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Property Damage Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Understanding Limits and Deductibles (Allstate)
- Your Car has been Stolen: Now What? (Allstate)