Want to learn how to save money and find more affordable insurance rates in Newport, RI? Are you a victim of an expensive insurance policy? You're in good company because there are many Newport drivers thinking the same thing.
Unbelievably, nearly 70% of Rhode Island drivers kept buying from the same company for over three years, and approximately 40% of consumers have never even compared quotes to find affordable rates. The average driver in the United States could pocket up to $860 a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they just assume it's a time-consuming process to go online and compare rates. Numerous insurance companies battle for your hard-earned dollar, and because of this it can be hard to compare car insurance companies and get the best coverage at the cheapest price on insurance.
Consumers should take time to price shop coverage at least once a year because insurance prices are variable and change quite frequently. Even if you got the best deal on insurance six months ago you can probably find a better rate quote now. Forget all the misinformation about insurance because we're going to demonstrate the things you must know in order to find great coverage at a great price.
Car insurance companies offering low-cost prices in Rhode Island
The companies shown below have been selected to offer free quotes in Newport, RI. If more than one company is shown, we suggest you visit several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Colorado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$1,162||$581||$97|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$1,100||$550||$92|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab TRX 4WD||$1,592||$796||$133|
|Ford Edge SE 2WD||$1,146||$573||$96|
|Ford Escape XLT 4WD||$1,374||$687||$115|
|Ford F-150 XLT Regular Cab 2WD||$1,420||$710||$118|
|Ford Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$1,178||$589||$98|
|Honda Accord EX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,814||$907||$151|
|Honda CR-V LX 4WD||$816||$408||$68|
|Honda Civic GX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,410||$705||$118|
|Hyundai Elantra Blue 4-Dr Sedan||$1,270||$635||$106|
|Mazda 3 S Grand Touring 4-Dr Hatchback||$1,306||$653||$109|
|Nissan Altima Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$1,126||$563||$94|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,742||$871||$145|
|Toyota Corolla LE||$1,194||$597||$100|
|Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport Package 4WD||$1,472||$736||$123|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices based on single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Rhode Island minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-vehicle, claim-free, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Table data does not factor in garaging location in Newport which can decrease or increase insurance rates significantly.
The example below shows how choosing a deductible and can raise or lower Nissan Sentra insurance costs for each different age group. The costs are based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are applied.
Nissan Sentra rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
These discounts can lower your insurance rates
Insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but you may find discounts that may help make it more affordable. Many discounts should be triggered at the time of purchase, but some must be specially asked for before they will apply.
- Low Mileage Discounts - Fewer annual miles can earn discounted premium rates on garaged vehicles.
- Student in College - College-age children who live away from home to go to college and do not have access to a covered vehicle could get you a discount.
- ABS Braking Discount - Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are much safer to drive and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) off the medical payments premium.
- Discount for Passive Restraints - Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts may qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Telematics Data - Drivers that enable their company to analyze where and when they drive by using a telematics device such as State Farm's In-Drive could see a rate decrease if they have good driving habits.
- Theft Prevention Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen with less frequency and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Bundled Policy Discount - If you insure your home and vehicles and place coverage with the same company they may give you a discount of over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Having worked for a branch of the government may qualify for a discount when you quote Newport car insurance with a few insurance companies.
Remember that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it appears you can get free auto insurance, insurance companies aren't that generous.
Popular insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are included below.
- Mercury Insurance offers discounts for annual mileage, multi-car, accident-free, professional/association, anti-theft, location of vehicle, and good driver.
- Farmers Insurance offers premium reductions for teen driver, alternative fuel, homeowner, mature driver, good student, and distant student.
- Farm Bureau offers discounts including good student, safe driver, multi-policy, driver training, youthful driver, 55 and retired, and multi-vehicle.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including good driver, good student, anti-theft, driver's education, Drive Safe & Save, and safe vehicle.
- Allstate has discounts for new car, economy car, defensive driver, premier discount, eSmart discount, and FullPay discount.
- GEICO has savings for daytime running lights, five-year accident-free, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, emergency military deployment, and anti-theft.
If you need lower rates, check with all the companies to apply every possible discount. Some credits may not be offered in your area. To view insurers with significant discounts in Newport, click here.
Do I just need basic coverages?
Always keep in mind that when comparing insurance from an agent or online, there really isn't a single plan that fits everyone. Every situation is different.
These are some specific questions may help highlight whether your personal situation would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Can I rent a car in Mexico?
- Are rock-chip repairs free?
- Am I covered by my employer's commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Should I carry comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Can I get by with minimal medical coverage if I have good health insurance?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- What does UM/UIM cover?
If it's difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form. It is quick, free and may give you better protection.
When to have guidance from an insurance agent
Many drivers still prefer to talk to an insurance agent and that is a smart decision Professional agents can help you choose the best coverages and help in the event of a claim. An additional benefit of getting online price quotes is you can get cheap rate quotes and still have an agent to talk to.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your insurance coverage information is transmitted to insurance agents in Newport that provide free Newport car insurance quotes for your business. You won't even need to leave your computer because quoted prices will be sent to your email. If you need to get a rate quote from a particular provider, just search and find their rate quote page and submit a quote form there.
Picking an insurance company should depend on more than just a low price. Before buying a policy in Newport, get answers to these questions.
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- How does the company pay claims for a total loss?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- Is auto insurance their primary focus in Newport?
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
Pick the best car insurance agent in Newport for you
If you want to buy insurance from a reputable insurance agent or broker, you need to know there are two types of agencies from which to choose. Insurance agencies are classified as either independent (non-exclusive) or exclusive. Both types of agents can write policy coverage, but it's important to point out how they are different because it can influence the kind of agent you use.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel can only place business with one company like Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. These agents are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agents are trained well on their company's products which aids in selling service over price.
Independent Insurance Agencies
Agents in the independent channel are not limited to a single company so they have the ability to put coverage with multiple insurance companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If they find a lower price, an independent agent can move your coverage and you stay with the same agent. If you need lower rates, you will want to compare prices from a couple of independent agencies to have the most options to choose from.
If you get reasonable responses to your questions in addition to an acceptable price estimate, you have narrowed it down to an auto insurance agent that can provide insurance coverage. Just understand that policyholders can terminate your policy whenever you wish so don't think you are locked into a specific company with no way out.
Persistence will pay off
Drivers leave their current company for many reasons like an unsatisfactory settlement offer, poor customer service, not issuing a premium refund or even delays in responding to claim requests. Regardless of your reason, finding a new car insurance company can be easy and end up saving you some money.
We just covered many ways to find cheaper coverage online. It's most important to understand that the more quotes you get, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even find the lowest rates are with the smaller companies.
While you're price shopping online, don't be tempted to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In many instances, consumers will sacrifice uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret at claim time that it was a big error on their part. The proper strategy is to purchase plenty of coverage at a price you can afford but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Which Company has the Cheapest Car Insurance in Valley Falls, RI? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Retired Military in Rhode Island? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Hope Valley, Rhode Island? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a 20 Year Old Male in Rhode Island? (FAQ)
- Understanding your Policy (NAIC.org)
- Pickups fall short in headlight tests (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)